BOTULINUM TOXIN INJECTION
OR BOTOX INJECTION
OR BOTOX INJECTION
Botox (Botulinum toxin) : Presentation
The uses of Botox in aesthetic medicine :
Botulinum toxin was discovered in 1946. Its use in medicine began in 1985 to treat strabismus, blepharospasm and haemifacial spasms. Observations have shown that patients treated with Botox for blepharospasm had virtually no appearance of expression lines between the eyebrows commonly known as glabella. The experiment with botulinum toxin (Botox) in aesthetics thus began in 1997.
In France, three botulinum toxins have received Marketing Authorisations (AMM): Azzalure™, Vistabel™ and Bocouture™.
The principle of an injection of botulinum toxin (Botox) is to act on the muscles under the skin. When the muscle is weakened and relaxed by the botulinum toxin (Botox), it no longer contracts, thus stopping the contraction of the muscle at the origin of skin wrinkles. This is how treatment with botulinum toxin (Botox) treats wrinkles and prevents their formation.
Botulinum toxin (Botox) is used to treat :
- Wrinkles : of the forehead, crow’s feet, frown lines, but also to “tighten” and give a lifting effect to the neck.
- Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) of the armpits, hands or feet.
- Bruxism or clenching of teeth at night.
- Certain cervical pains (neck pain) and lumbago (back pain).
The uses of Botox by Doctor Diacakis, an aesthetic surgeon in Paris :
Doctor Richard Diacakis mainly uses the botulinum toxin Azzalure and Vistabel.
The indications for botulinum toxin or “Botox” injections which are carried out at the office of Dr. Diacakis, a plastic surgeon in Paris are :
- The treatment of the upper part of the face (forehead, frown lines, crow’s feet, tail of the eyebrow) which results in a refreshing effect on the face, i.e. a less tired, less severe, younger or fresher face. Thus the forehead appears more relaxed, the eyebrows higher, the eyes more open and wrinkles very attenuated. Of course, as always in aesthetics, with the obligation of a natural result. In fact, it is possible to control the effects of botox, on demand, while maintaining muscular mobility and therefore a natural expression.
- The neck treatment gives a lifting effect with the reduction of wrinkles and folds of the neck.
- The treatment of excessive perspiration (hyperhidrosis) of the armpits, hands or feet.
- The treatment of hypertrophy of the masseter muscles in order to redraw and refine (especially Asian) the oval of the face.
- The treatment of bruxism or night-time tooth clenching.
- The treatment of certain headaches and cervical pains.
Before a Botox injection
A consultation with Dr. Diacakis, a plastic surgeon in Paris, is necessary before a botox (botulinum toxin) injection in order to rule out contraindications: patients suffering from myasthenia gravis or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Any medication containing aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs is prohibited for eight days before treatment to prevent the occurrence of small haematomas. Certain antibiotics are also not recommended.
Sometimes a homeopathic treatment with arnica is started a few days beforehand to minimise the risk of bruising.
What happens after
a Botox injection ?
Botox (botulinum toxin) is injected directly into the muscles responsible for wrinkles, using micro-needles. A perfect knowledge of the anatomy of the face is necessary to respect the muscles, which are necessary for raising the eyelids and expressing feelings in order to keep an expressive and natural face.
Very small doses are sufficient to relax the muscles and maintain facial expressions with a natural and refreshed face.
The duration of the session depends on what has been decided in consultation with Dr. Diacakis, an aesthetic surgeon in Paris.
After the operation a
As with any injection, in the first few days after injection, pain/burns/stinging, swelling and/or bruising related to the injection may occur. The most common temporary side effects are headaches that can last for 1 to 2 days, redness, temporary drooping of the eyelid (ptosis).
The result after a
Botox injection treatment
The effects of the treatment begin to appear within 3 to 7 days after the botox (botulinum toxin) injections, the maximum effect is obtained around the third week and lasts four to six months depending on the patient.
The regular renewal of the sessions makes it possible to prolong the duration of action of the botulinum toxin (Botox). A botox (botulinum toxin) injection session is carried out every 4 months for the first year, then every 6 months.
- The treatment of the upper part of the face gives very satisfactory and very natural results.
- The neck treatment allows a lifting effect especially on thin, wrinkled and not too “greasy” necks.
- The treatment of excessive perspiration (hyperhidrosis) of the armpits, hands or feet allows to stop or decrease in a significant and temporary way the production of sweat by the sweat glands. The botulinum toxin in hyperhidrosis thus gives very good results.
- The treatment of bruxism with Botox injections is very effective and often makes it possible to avoid wearing gutters at night.
- If the diagnosis of cervical and lumbar pain is correctly made, the treatment of these tensions by the injection of botulinum toxin brings a very important relief of the pain.
The price of a botox (botulinum toxin) injection
The price of the consultation by Doctor Richard DIACAKIS plastic surgeon in Paris is 100 euros. The price of an injection of botox (botulinum toxin) by Dr Richard Diacakis, depends on the number of locations to be treated and the quantity needed for the treatment.
Classically the price of a bottle of botulinum toxin varies between 350 and 550 euros.
The price of excessive perspiration, which usually requires a minimum of two bottles, varies between 800 and 900 euros.
The price of treatment for a clenching of the teeth associated with cervicalgia and/or lumbago starts at 800 euros.
This is an aesthetic procedure. The injection of botulinum toxin is then neither reimbursed by social security nor by the complementary health insurance.
During the consultation, you will be given an estimate including :
- The surgeon’s fees
- The application of 20% VAT